Sunday, September 28, 2008

With And Without

Remembering Old Friends

This piece is dedicated to the remembrance of old friends. I moved to a small town called Rosendale when I was 6 years old. Rosendale is located upstate NY. Just outside of Kingston. It’s a small mountain town and is where my heart still longs for today.

The poem I am introducing to you today is a reflection of that time and mainly about a friend who I grew up with. He has since died and I reflect once in awhile about our life such as it was.

Brian was my best friend. We hung out, cut school, partied and did most everything together. I could go into detail about our life but I think it would take a lifetime to put into words.

Brian died at the age of 27 and the way I found out was a total shock to me. I had moved on, was married and living in Portsmouth NH. Every year I would visit my parents who still lived in the old house I grew up in. I would come for a visit and always visit Brian and his grandmother who he lived with. We would hang out, party and always have a great visit. We would always be the best of friends and always happy to see each other.

To make this story a little shorter, one day I was visiting my family in the summer of 1983. It was sort of a family reunion and I was home for the week. The very first day I was home I had to walk down to Brian’s house. I couldn’t wait to see him. To my surprise someone else answered the door and said the people who lived there had moved away. They said that the guy that lived in the house was found dead from an overdose of drugs. His grandmother found him and had a heart attack and was under the care of a nursing home.

I was in shock to find out the news this way and have never been the same. I blocked it out of my mind for many years until one day when I was walking and started to reflect. Anyway this is what I wrote with my best friend Brian in mind.

Folks, DRUGS KILL!

Brian, if somehow you can read this I wrote this with you in mind.

With And Without

As I walked down the street
Faces, oh so many faces


I turn to greet a friend

But he’s not there


When I turn around again
Faces so strange, unknown

Unlike a feeling I’ve ever known before


Nothing like a friend

To talk to when things are ha
rd

But now you’re gone

It’s hard but I must go on


Even though your not there

I can’t help but think you are

And somehow it makes it all easier


What about this emptiness

A word that is used to describe a pain


Hurting is a teacher

It teaches me to understand


That nothing lasts forever

Nothing in this great big world
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a lost cause


Why am I here

A question I ask myself


What is my purpose

A reason for me to live this way


I was born of this world

I will live of this world

I will die of this world


Here’s to long lost friends

4 comments:

Carol said...

As always a deep and insightful piece.One to which we all can relate!

Kelly said...

You honored your friend beautifully Donald :)

Oza Meilleur said...

Bonjour Donald,

A tale of eternal friendship -- beautiful story, touching poem.

Your friend lives on through your words. Thanks for letting us get to know him.

Big hugs and lots of LOVE,
Mudd a.k.a. Happy Oza :-)
xoxo

tahtimbo said...

A very moving poem. It reminds me of the friends that I have lost over the years. I could not have expressed my feelings any better.