Monday, August 25, 2008

Thunder

I wrote this piece in 1991 for a show that was created called "Surrender". I don't know if you are familiar with a Libretto. A libretto is a form of musical where you have your screen play and a separate section for the music.

For the next few posts I will be introducing to you a series of songs in lyric that I wrote specifically for this production called "Surrender". Surrender is a story of a man in addiction who has hit his bottom and is starting on the road to recovery. He has joined a long term recovery program. The story takes you through what it is like to experience what every recovering person goes through.

Understanding why I wrote these lyrics will help you understand them for what they truly are.


Thunder


Living in peace, is a time
When all evil is at end
The infinite flow of time
Glides slowly through the hands

Like a warm breeze blowing into a cold.

I don’t understand, the treacherous ways
Of living in a sinful space
When serenity lies, in the hand
I just have to turn and face it

Like a warm breeze blowing into a cold.

When I look in my mind
The infinite glow of memories,
Some good, some bad
Run slowly into each other and the crash of thunder

Like a warm breeze blowing into a cold.

See the never ending veins of lightning
Crashing through my heart
As the sun shines through my eyes,
And warms my face

Like a warm breeze blowing into a cold.

The thunder lies within
Crashing through you like a stampede
Ravaging your soul
And sifting through the pieces that you’re left with
All in all

Like a warm breeze blowing into a cold

5 comments:

Matt D. Barnes said...

Don,

This is interesting. We have both been to some similar places for different reasons and there are certainly some parallels that can be drawn from our experiences. I can't be sure whether it is for this reason or because of your eloquent imagery but I can totally understand where you are coming from with this piece.

I hope you have plenty more of these in the pipelines for us,

Matt.

Reflections Magazine editor said...

A warm breeze into a cold...

Have we not all experienced this at some point in our lives? Even if the experiences vary, the feelings are the same. The contrast..seeing the differences of "white on white"...I am reminded of the Counting Crows and the song "Round Here."

"See the never ending veins of lightning
Crashing through my heart"

"The thunder lies within
Crashing through you like a stampede"

I understand.

This is a great piece and the fact that you can put your feelings into such a poetic terms shows great ability. Thank you for sharing this with us. I look forward to reading more.

Don Dousharm said...

Matt,

Although we live in two different parts of the world, I feel we have much in common. I have been following your blogs and enjoying your writing for about a year now and have never read a dull post.

You are an exceptional writer.

Thank you for being there.

Don Dousharm said...

Marcueto,

Your comments are always both kind and deep. You have the ability to read beyond the words and look into the person writing them.

Your students must care for you very much. If you understand and read them like you read me, well, all I can say is they are rich in your company.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding.

Khaye said...

enjoying a great poetry...