Saturday, July 12, 2008

And I Dreamed It Was Real

















Not a day goes by that I don’t think of something of yesterday
Applying what I know to something of today
Dreaming dreams that only memory can envision
Such is a time of only indecision

And I dreamed I saw a man who had fallen
And I dreamed he was battered and broken
And I feel for that man every time I see him
Though he’s just a memory to me now

When I think of all the strife and hardship I’ve endured
You realize that simple things, should not be ignored
But I remember how it was and will not be again
Yes I admit that I submit, to myself be friend

And I dreamed I saw myself who had fallen
And I dreamed I had battered and broke him
And I feel from the pain, yet I dare to explain
Of a time of self destruction

Who and what we are, is what we do
Who and what you are is up to you
I am one who learned from my own discretion
Rather than curl up and die with no reaction

And I no longer dream this distasteful distraction
And I no longer dream of repeating my actions
For I am that man and the dream was real
For I am that man and I am here to reveal

By: Donald B. Dousharm

DEDICATION:

I was reading a story from a friend and thinking about my own experiences and decided to pull one of my poems for this particular post. When I wrote this I was living in the woods with nothing but nature for shelter. I used my hands and skills to create a safe haven for my dwelling. He has inspired me to quite possibly write my own story one day.

I would very much like to dedicate this poem to a friend. He has lived through a hell that only the experienced can describe in such detail. He is a Writer and a Human Being in the most profound sense of the word. I am proud to call him my friend.

Please read about his experiences in his own words.

The Hobo Days

8 comments:

Matt D. Barnes said...

This is wonderful work, as always and thank you for the dedication.

I for one certainly hope that you do decide to write your story someday or perhaps you may like to guest write on my site at some point.

The inspiration is mutual yet I can only aspire to that which you have already achieved and overcome.

Thanks again,

Matt.

Reflections Magazine editor said...

Donald
So much of who we are today we owe to who we were then...

This is a lovely poem introduced by a very powerful photograph. Anyone who has lived, let's say to 40, must I suppose understand your every word. I know I do. I often think how much time I wasted when I was young and I dwell sometimes too much on my mistakes, but I am quickly reminded that I owe much to "those years" of indecision, ignorance and rebelliousness, for they have shaped my life and brought me to the crossroad.

Human beings share so much in common, and it comforts me to know that others contemplate their past and present as they plan for their future. You say, "You must live every second you are alive. "There is plenty of time for sleep in the grave." I ditto your sentiments completely and write about that same subject in my "Pleasantly Exhausted" post. It is a message I have chosen to deliver as often as I can, not only for the benefit of others but for my own good as well.

Great post!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a powerful poem - very well done.

Oza Meilleur said...

Bonjour Donald!

I'm glad I came across your blog, tonight. What a beautiful, touching poem...and to know in what context you wrote it makes it even more special.

I must say, though, that contrary to what some believe, time is never wasted. You may thing you've wasted it, but it always serves a purpose, whatever you do with it.

Big hugs and lots of love,
Mudd a.k.a. Oza
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Well done! This is wonderful poem. I hope you don't stop and write more.

Kelly said...

As always, your words strike a chord in me. I find myself reflecting and it ends up being a healthy reflection since your words guided it in that direction. Your poems are very therapeutic.

Deborah Katy said...

Beautiful that´s what I can say about your blog. And the way you speak about your friend, it´s so hard to meet people like that.
I came here to thank u for visiting my blog. One thing I love about blogging is to find true people, real human beings that write their own experiences :-)
Big kiss from Brazil!
Katy.

Anonymous said...

Wow that was great I love that photo...
http://www.teachingutomakemoney.com